SAVE THE DATE
This course will be held again on
October 12 – 14, 2022.
Information contained in this site is for the March 2022 program.
Information for the October 2022 program not yet available.
The Techniques and Strategies That Significantly Improve Student Engagement, and Teaching and Mentoring Effectiveness
Principles of Medical Education: Maximizing Your Teaching Skills will be held online this year, using live streaming, electronic Q&A, and other remote learning technologies.
Incorporating best practices, newer principles of adult learning, and widely available technologies into your teaching can significantly improve your ability to engage and inspire students, residents, fellows, and colleagues. This special program, ranked among Harvard Medical School’s highest-rated CME courses, is a uniquely comprehensive exploration of best practices for teaching medicine at the bedside, in ambulatory settings, and in the classroom.
The 2022 curriculum helps medical educators to:
- Provide more effective feedback that motivates change
- Utilize active learning strategies in small and large group teaching settings
- Deliver more impactful and engaging lectures
- Identify effective best practices for mentor-mentee relationships
- Optimize evaluation of trainee competencies
- Improve the interactivity of small group discussions
- Enhance critical thinking and self-learning among students using concept maps and inductive reasoning
- Describe real-time strategies to address unprofessional behavior
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of various assessment tools
- Integrate social media and digital education into your teaching portfolio
- Incorporate technology into your teaching
- Create an action plan for implementing and sustaining effective change as leaders in medical education
- Identify strategies to recognize and mitigate bias
- Identify personal and organizational strategies for well-being
Case-based and hands-on learning are a hallmark of this course, with significant participant interaction and active modeling of instruction techniques. Whether you are newer to teaching or a seasoned educator and mentor, this course will give you modern tools and practices to optimize skills transfer and learner success.
Areas of focus in which attendees will deepen their skills include:
- Interactive Lecturing
- Bedside Teaching
- Effective Mentoring
- Impactful Feedback
- Developing Curriculum
- Assessing Learners
- Learner Engagement
- Teaching Critical Thinking
- Teaching with Social Media
- Teaching and Maintaining Wellness
OPTIMIZED FOR REMOTE EDUCATION
The 2022 program has been enhanced for distance learning. In addition to being live streamed, all sessions will be recorded and made available to participants for online viewing for 30 days after the end of the course.